Thursday, October 22, 2009

Cohen's Birthday

We are so happy to announce the birth of our son, Cohen John Bruner, at 7:55p.m. on Thursday, October 15th. He weighed 7lbs. 3oz. and was 19 3/4 in. long. He has daddy's eyes and mommy's mouth. Everyone thinks he looks like both of us. There were tons of family and friends there to greet him when he arrived! He is one loved child!

Here is the story of his birthday..

I went in to be induced Wednesday night at 5p.m. to start the Cervadil. The next morning they gave me a short break (just long enough to shower and fix my face, since I was well aware of the many pictures to come). They started the Pitocin at 7:30a.m. and the contractions started. I was dilated to a 1 or a 2 by 10:30 (I was at a 1 when I came in the night before) so Dr. Allen broke my water to start things up a bit. As I was breathing through the contractions on a birthing ball on the floor the nurse came in and asked me about getting the epidural. I told her I wanted to wait a little longer but I didn't know how much longer (I didn't want the labor to slow, since I still had a long way to go.) She then informed me the anesthesiologist was about to go in for a C section and it was either now or in an hour. So I decided now was good with me. So a little before 1:00 I got the epidural. It was such a relief but I had a spot in the left side of my stomach that was still feeling contractions. It was frustrating but at least they weren't full on anymore. By 1:30 I was dilated to a 3, at 3:15 I was at a 5. We were having trouble detecting the baby's heartbeat with the external monitor so they put one on his head to get a better read. At 3:50 I was almost at 6, and at 5:05 I was at an 8. At 6:30 I was a 9 1/2. The doctor came back to check me at 7:40 and I was still the same. She said I could try pushing through the last bit of the cervix (I think doubting my strength) and it turns out I am a good pusher! I only had to push about 10 times and Cohen was here! It was so amazing, I burst into tears immediately. Michael and I were both in such awe of the whole thing. It was very surreal. He is literally the most beautiful thing I have ever seen in my life. I am so happy and lucky to have such a wonderful little gift from God I get to hold in my arms everyday. Here is a mini picture story from that day.



So here I am shortly after getting my epidural...feeling much better. Although the anesthesiologist poked the needle more into my right side. I had a semi-paralyzed right eye (no I'm not winking) and could NOT move my right leg to save my life.




A family of two...not for much longer!!





While I was overly numb on my right side, my left was still feeling the contractions...



It's almost time to push!!





Cohen's first breath, the best moment of my life!





What a proud daddy




Trying out those lungs...

Getting warm...

Sweet baby boy



He loves his daddy too...


My first time to cuddle him...

The audience...I've never seen such a bunch of bawl bags! Haha, I'm so glad they were able to share in such a special moment.



Our family of three...



With Daddy in the nursery...




I will post more from his first week at home tomorrow hopefully. (Of course, this all depends on how Cohen sleeps tonight)

































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment